Monday, November 16, 2020

A Murder Is Announced, by Agatha Christie

 What a classic, escape-room-y set up! In the tiny fictional English village of Chipping Cleghorn, the local Gazette publishes a personal ad. "A MURDER IS ANNOUNCED... Friends are advised to accept this, their only intimation."

Date (doesn't matter), time is 6:30, location is "Little Paddocks" because Agatha Christie houses all have names!

A group of about 12 people end up gathering out of curiosity, thinking it might be a "murder game." At the appointed time, as the clock finishes chiming the half hour, the lights go out and the front door opens. A man's voice yells "Hands up!" as a dazzling flashlight plays around the room. Two shots ring out, chaos erupts, the man spins and a third shot is heard.

When the lights are restored, the owner of the house is bleeding copiously from her ear, while two bullet holes are visible in the wall behind her head. The robber is dead in the doorway.

Who would have wanted to murder Miss Letitiia Blacklock? Did the robber die by accident or suicide?

In order to remember this plot, a cast of characters is recommended.

The Suspects:

Living at Little Paddocks:

  • Letitia Blacklock, lady of the house, in her 60s (also the main character)
  • Dora Bunner, her elderly fluttery childhood friend, usually known by her nickname, "Bunny"
  • Patrick and Julia Simmons, Miss Blacklock's spoiled and foolish young cousins (who call her "Aunt" due to the difference in ages)
  • Mitzi, Miss Blacklock's foreign housekeeper and cook, a young refugee
  • Phillipa Haymes, a young widowed paying guest/gardener with a young son at boarding school

Neighbors:
  • Colonel Archie Easterbrook, blustery old colonel just returned from India
  • Laura Easterbrook, his considerably younger, glamorous wife
  • Mrs Swettenham, elderly lady who dotes on her son, Edmund
  • Edmund Swettenham, cynical young writer
  • Miss Hinchcliffe, physically fit, tough lady farmer
  • Miss Amy Murgatroyd, Miss Hinchcliffe's sweet-dispositioned, giggly companion
  • Belle Goedler, dying widow of Letitia's former wealthy employer
  • Julian Harmon, the vicar
  • Diana "Bunch" Harmon, the vicar's wife
  • Tiglath Pileser, the vicarage cat
  • Rudi Scherz, a young man of Swiss extraction, the receptionist at a local spa
  • Myrna Harris, girlfriend of the latter, waitress at local spa

The Detectives:
  • Miss Jane Marple
  • Inspector Dermot Eric Craddock
  • Chief Constable George Rydesdale, Craddock's superior
  • Detective Sergeant Fletcher, assisting Craddock
  • Constable Legg

(Cast of characters copy pasted from Wikipedia)

Published in 1950, the book has that timeless Christie quality. There are some references to "the War" probably, but was that WWI or WWII? There is Colonel Easterbrook, just returned from India--3 years AFTER partition? No mention of that horror having any effect. No, the colonel could have been posted at anytime, back at any time, Britain could still be the raj for all this book acknowledges the actual time period. This book could be set at any time from 1924-1976--basically the scope of Christie's career.

THIS IS HER 50TH NOVEL!

So, what happens?

Classic Christie format: We begin with vignettes of the various households, reading the newspaper. We get a sense of who the assembled parties will be--what we don't know is who will be a victim, and who will be the perpetrator. It's rather the fun of a book like this to try to spot the plot before the plot is actually set into motion.

The murder is announced via newspaper personals advertisement. Various characters intrigued. Letty Blacklock, the owner of Little Paddocks, is particularly surprised, but certain that the neighbors will turn up, she puts together a little party set up, and indeed, people arrive. At 6:30, the clock chimes, the lights go out, a door swings open, someone yells "Stick 'em up!" and a flashlight swings around the room. Two shots are fired, the flashlight is dropped, a third shot is fired, then all goes quiet. Very exciting!

When the lights are back on (somebody had to find the fuse box), the burglar is dead, and 2 bullet holes are in the wall behind Letty Blacklock's head!  She is bleeding from the ear--she was the target, but why?

Bunny recognizes the "burglar" as a receptionist from the nearby hotel--a man named Rudi Scherz, who had approached Letty for money recently. She turned him down--was that the motive for the burglary? And how did he die? Did he accidentally fall on his gun?

Of course, it's much more complicated than that. There is a legacy--Letty had worked as secretary to a very successful financier, himself dead for quite some time. But his widow Belle. is still alive--but once she dies, the money comes to Letty.

Or, if Letty pre-deceases Belle, the money goes to "Pip and Emma" a pair of twins who are the niece and nephew of the financier. So there is motive to kill Letty?

Much is discovered--Patrick and Julia are pulling a scam--"Julia" is actually Emma, one of the missing twins who stands to inherit if Letty predeceases Belle. Philippa turns out to be "Pip"--the other twin. 

Other people die--Bunny takes an aspirin from Letty's bottle, is found dead the next morning. Hinchcliffe and Murgatroyd (coded lesbians!) try to reenact the drama of the night, Murgatroyd realizes "She wasn't there" and is soon found strangled.

Miss Marple happens to be staying at the hotel where Rudi Scherz was working, and she. comes in and figures it all out. Letty is not the intended victim, she is the perpetrator! 

Because Letty is NOT Letty, she is actually Letty's sister, Charlotte. Letty and Lottie went to Switzerland during the war, where Lottie had goiter surgery, and met Rudi Scherz there. After the war ended, "Letty" returned to England, saying that "Lottie" had died. The inheritance, you see. 

But Rudi recognized her, and he had to be silenced. Letty set up the situation, exited the room and shot twice at where she had been standing, then killed Rudi with the third shot. She nicked her own ear and returned to her spot by the time the lights came back on.
In acting out the scene, Murgatroyd realized that Letty wasn't in the spot she was supposed to be, so Letty killed her.

Bunny--dear, dotty, Bunny--wasn't able to remember to always call her friend "Letty." A few times she slipped, calling her "Lottie," so Letty gave her one last wonderful birthday day, and killed her with a narcotic in the aspirin bottle.

Letty is finally caught in a trap set by Miss Marple and Inpsector Craddock, where they accuse Edmund of being Pip, and trying to kill Letty for the inheritance. (Here, Philippa reveals that she is Pip, so they have to quickly pivot to claiming Edmund did it to marry a rich wife.) Mitzi claims to know a secret, and Letty is caught trying to drown her in the kitchen. She breaks down when Miss Marple imitates Bunny's voice.


As someone who has binged on quite a few of Christie's works in the past few months, it is amazing how she managed to ring so many changes on this cozy format. The trick of this one is that the bulk of the book is spent tricking the reader into seeing Letty as the intended victim, when she is the perpetrator. At some point, you have to realize you have been looking through the wrong end of the telescope.

Christie has quite a number of variations on the cozy scheme. There is one where the first person narrator turns out to be unreliable--is the perpetrator. There is one where ALL of the suspects committed the crime, and they are all covering for each other. There is one where all the suspects end up dead--so who was the murderer? There is one where the murder to be solved happened a decade before--and Miss Marple has to even figure out what she is investigating. 

Much of the novel is written as dialogue--characters are sketched briefly, with only a few characteristics to distinguish them from each other. They aren't exactly memorable, but you can usually tell them apart. There are 15 suspects, after all, in addition to the detectives, the victim, and a couple of witnesses. For a book of about 100 pages, that requires deftness!

Do you really care about any of them? I submit that you don't. There is pleasure in the unraveling of the puzzle, but it's not really wrenching to deal with all these deaths. They aren't real enough to be affecting.

But they are entertaining, and it's rather comforting to read these during the covid upheaval. There is order, and it can be restored after a major social disruption--murder and war can be overcome, so why not a pandemic?

12 comments:

Robert Earl said...


�� RECOVERY OF STOLEN FUNDS (SCAM FOCUS).
BINARY OPTIONS, BITCOINS and LOAN SCAM.
The essentials you need to know about The Global-KOS C.E.H RECOVERY COMPANY.
�� leroysteckler@gmail.com"
Reading Time: ⏱️2MIN.
Hiring a professional hacker has been one of the world most technical valued navigating information. High prolific information and Privileges comes rare as it has been understood that what people do not see, they will never know.
This is The Global KOS hacking agency where every request concerning lost funds or hacking related issues are fixed within a short period of time.
The crucial benefit of contacting The Global-KOS hackers is
• ZERO TRACE: After a successful hack recovery is carried out by the Global-KOS, no active or passive attacks will be used to trace any of our hacks to our clients or our organization. One common practice that attackers employ to evade detection is to break into poorly secured systems and use those hijacked systems as proxies through which they can launch and route attacks. So in a nutshell, attackers effort on this platform are useless. The reason is because our server is protected with a vigorous firewall switching and a firm security system to prevent unauthorized bodies from tracking or modifying our network accessible resources. I.e the hacker and clients are 100% safe and anonymous.

CHALLENGES FACED AS A HACKER:
• REPEAT CLIENTS and SERVICES: E.g, after helping a client recover all money lost to fraudulent practices, most of this clients will come back requesting we provide the same service in disguise as a different person.
⚠Note:
As a hacker, we do not recover lost funds from a fraudulent source to a client more than one time. We imploy you cherish your one time successful recovery with the prolific company. And also urge that clients should be on a watch at any attempt on financial fraud.
However, you will be assigned to a designated professional hacker who is systematically known for operating on a dark web protocol. The operation of these hackers is to potentially deploy a distinguished cyber security technique to retrieving back the victims stolen funds via the application of a diverse CM breacher which enables you to track the data location of a scammer and extract every data on the con database. This is achieved using the systematic courier tracking method.
Which of the uneasy situation do you find yourself in right now?
✅(BITCOIN INVESTMENTS, BINARY OPTIONS OR LOAN SCAM?
This shocking study points to one harsh reality we all face today. It saddens our mind when a client expresses annoyance or dissatisfaction of unethical behaviors of scammers. We have striven to make tenacious efforts to help those who are victims of this fleas get off their traumatic feeling of loss.
The company is large enough to provide comprehensive range of services such as.
• MOBILE PHONE HACKS.(Catching A Cheating Spouse)��
• CREDIT SCORE UPGRADE,
• PENETRATION OF WEBSITES AND DATABASE.
• UNLOCKING FROZEN CRYPTO WALLET��
• EMAIL HACKS
• HACKING A FRAUDULENT WEBSITE.��
• UBER FREE PAYMENT LICENCE.��

For prolific services and info,
Contact:
✉️Email: theglobalkos@gmail.com
leroysteckler@gmail.com
®Global KOS™
2020.

Unknown said...



Am here to testify what this great spell caster done for me. i never believe in spell casting, until when i was was tempted to try it. i and my wife have been having a lot of problem living together, she will always not make me happy because she have fallen in love with another man outside our relationship, i tried my best to make sure that my wife leave this woman but the more i talk to her the more she makes me fell sad, so my marriage is now leading to divorce because she no longer gives me attention. so with all this pain and agony, i decided to contact this spell caster to see if things can work out between me and my wife again. this spell caster who was a man told me that my wife is really under a great spell that she have been charm by some magic, so he told me that he was going to make all things normal back. he did the spell on my wife and after 5 days my wife changed completely she even apologize with the way she treated me that she was not her self, i really thank this man his name is Dr ose he have bring back my wife back to me i want you all to contact him who are having any problem related to marriage issue and relationship problem he will solve it for you. his email is oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com he is a man and his great. wish you good time.
He cast spells for different purposes like
(1) If you want your ex back.
(2) if you always have bad dream
(3) You want to be promoted in your office.
(4) You want women/men to run after you.
(5) If you want a child.
(6) You want to be rich.
(7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
(8) If you need financial assistance.
(9) HIV/AIDS CURE
(10) is the only answer to that your problem of winning the lottery

Contact him today on oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2348136482342

SIMON PATCHIN said...

How To Get Your Ex Lover/Partner/Boyfriend/Girlfriend/Wife Or Husband Back

It breaks my heart to know that people are hurting so badly that they are desperate to get their love lives back. For anyone hurting right now, I want you to worry no more for your Ex lover/partner will come back to you so you can feel whole again and I truly mean that. When my wife left me, Lord Zakuza was the man I contacted that helped me to get my wife back with his powerful spell within 48 hours and I can never forget the day I meant Lord Zakuza for he's spells perform GREAT MIRACLES. Get in touch with Lord Zakuza now for he's like a God on earth that can get your EX lover back within 48 hours with his powerful spell. You can go get in touch with him through the below details.


WhatsApp/call/text: +1 740 573 9483
Website via: lordzakuzaspells.com
Email via: Lordzakuza7 @ gmail. com

Tonia Anderson said...

I'm Tonia Anderson by name, I am from the States, Suffolk county to be precise. I am here today to testify of the good works LORD ZAKUZA has done in my life, I never knew great men still exist until I found him. I have been suffering from heart break for the past 3 years, my partner who I invested on cheated on me with my best friend on my matrimonial bed, I was yet to recover from this terrible shock until I meant LORD ZAKUZA, a friend of mine directed me to him , I doubted him at first but as things went further, I had to give him my trust and did exactly as he told me to do. Ever since then, I have been happy all my life and my love life with my partner has been so wonderful. You can also need his help and here's his contact information. WhatsApp: +1 740 573 9483, Email: lordzakuza7 @ gmail. com, Website: lordzakuzaspells.com

Susan Hedstrom said...

Life has not been easy with me after my marriage was broken when my husband filled for a divorced but I thank God for using Lord Zakuza who's like a God on Earth to get my broken marriage restored with his powerful spell. I suffered for depression for 6 months but today, I am so happy for getting to know Lord Zakuza for his spell has really made me to believe that of a truth spells are real and they work. I adhered to every bit of instructions given to me by Lord Zakuza for he promised me that he will make me happy and proud and really, all that happened and my husband came back to me with his knees on the ground begging me for forgiveness within 48 hours after I got in touch with him and now we are perfectly bonded again for life. I can boldly say to everyone out there that Lord Zakuza spells is really the best and most powerful. I'm forever grateful to him till the end of time. So, you can get connected with him on this number +1 (740) 573-9483 via WhatsApp/Call or Email via: Lordzakuza7@gmail.com

kaylana said...

GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK NOW OR GET YOUR BROKEN RELATIONSHIP, MARRIAGE RESTORED.

I’m just upset that I have been in pain and crying for so long and many times. Thank you dromokpo@gmail.com
I wished I would have found you earlier, you would have saved me from a lot of pain for the past five years my ex lover left me for another woman in just 2 days i contacted you Dr Omokpo you brought my broken relationship back
I spent a small fortune enough to take my dream trip to South Carolina but what’s the point in taking a dream trip without the love of my life. Dr Omokpo has given me hope and his honesty is a breath of fresh air, I feel so good and heavy happiness in my heart to get my ex lover back. Who I thought he was gone forever. We are married now as I share my testimony with you. If you have broken relationship or broken marriage or you want to get your ex lover back kindly contact: dromokpo@gmail.com

jullietta jackson said...

Life has not been easy with me after my marriage was broken when my husband filled for a divorced but I thank God for using Lord DR osita who's like a God on Earth to get my broken marriage restored with his powerful spell. I suffered for depression for 6 months but today, I am so happy for getting to know Lord DR osita for his spell has really made me to believe that of a truth spells are real and they work. I adhered to every bit of instructions given to me by Lord DR osita for he promised me that he will make me happy and proud and really, all that happened and my husband came back to me with his knees on the ground begging me for forgiveness within 48 hours after I got in touch with him and now we are perfectly bonded again for life. I can boldly say to everyone out there that Lord DR osita pells is really the best and most powerful. I'm forever grateful to him till the end of time. So, you can get connected with him on this number +4915217824272 via WhatsApp/Call or emaill Ositabello8@gmil.com

Zonahobisaya said...

Bona web : Zonahobisaya
Bona web : Resep Masakan
Bona web : lambang
Bona web : Zonahobisaya
Bona web : Zonahobisaya
Bona web : Zonahobisaya
Bona web : One Piece
Bona web : Tertua

DEBORAH HARDWICK said...

My husband divorced me, went after his ex and left me heart broken for 2 years. I have been playing the lottery for some years before I got married and I have never won any big amount. I continued to play the lottery but I couldn't win more than $500 dollars until I was introduced to Dr Amber that is a strong Haiti spell caster. I had a chat with him via +18084815132 telling him what a mess my life has become. He encouraged and promised to get my man back for me and to help me win the lottery. There were specific instructions that was passed to me by him which I adhered to as he prepared the spell for me that brought back my husband within 36 hours and he gave me some sure numbers to play the lottery game. I used the numbers to play the lottery and I was declared the winner of Ten Million Dollars and all this happened within a week after I knew Dr Amber. It doesn't matter what you are going through in life Dr Amber is here to help. You can visit his website: amberlottotemple.com or E-mail: { amberlottotemple@yahoo.com }.

Martin Bradley said...

Greetings to you all out there. I was scammed by a fake online crypto investor, I got a message from a trader on my Facebook who told me about how high their profit was after investing with them, I decided to invest in the online trade because I wanted to make more profit to set up a business because my job wasn't enough to take care of myself and my family, invested $35,000.00 worth of bitcoin. I was promised that I will be able to withdraw my profit after one week of investment. when it was time for me to withdraw the profit. I tried to make a withdrawal and it failed. I informed the trader about it and he asked me to pay more money as the withdrawal charges. was a bit strange to me. I wasn't informed earlier that I have to pay extra money to be able to withdraw my winning profit. I did as he instructed and made another deposit of $5,000.00, thinking I will be able to finally withdraw my profit. but he kept asking for more money until I realized that I was being scammed. I couldn't let go because I invested all the money that I was saving to set up a new business. I was confused and lost for days because the world was against me. I had to do research to see if there is anything I can do to recover my money back and I came across the comment about WIZARD WEB RECOVERY after so many searches. I read several good reviews about them from various scam victims and how WIZARD WEB RECOVERY helped them in recovering their stolen crypto. I decided to contact them for help. I was opportune to get my money back from the scam brokers through the help of the WIZARD WEB RECOVERY, Are you a victim of any kind of scam? WIZARD WEB RECOVERY is capable of helping you get back whatever you may have lost to internet Scammers. Reach them through email address at: wizardwebrecovery@programmer.net or WhatsApp Number: +1 (917) 725-329

Liz Bleeker said...

I have learned my lesson the hard way to never trust any person pretending to be an agent or account manager, I trusted someone with my money and I was conned of $117,000 in Bitcoins after they refused to let me withdraw from my account and insist I pay more money to their fraudulent platform. I was lucky to get the attention of my colleague at work who told me about Cyberwall fire, a reputable company that has helped many people recover their money in the past. I contacted them and in a space of 48 hours, they helped me recover my money.
Thank you so much Cyberwall fire, I’m going to continue spreading your information as I know they are a lot of people who are being held hostage by these swindlers and who have lost money to them. This is their contact information.
Cyberwallfire@techie(.)com

jan ihnatik said...

Dobrý den, s cílem pomoci vám překonat různé finanční starosti a bez obtíží čelit vašim cílům do budoucna a při všech vašich přípravách a nákupech vánočních svátků předkládám nabídku půjčky a úvěru lidem v potíže nebo chtějí pomoci vyřešit některé z jejich finančních problémů nebo zahájit podnikání. Nabízím půjčky od 30 000 do 90 000 000 Kč na dobu splácení 1 až 70 let maximálně s úrokovými sazbami 2% a pro více informací o mé nabídce mi prosím napište nebo kontaktujte mě e-mailem:ihjan51@gmail.com